1. I suggest that you should ________ them about their plans.
(A) say with
(C) tell to
(D) speak to
2. I know somebody ________ can play the guitar.
(D) that he
3. Did you ask your father ________ some money?
4. Do you like Greek food? Yes, ________.
(A) it’s very well.
(B) I like
(C) is good
(D) I do
5. You look ________ in red!
(A) most nicely
(B) too nice
(D) very nice
6. We know their address, but they don’t know ________.
7. I’d rather be a millionaire. = ________
(A) I’ve been a millionaire.
(B) I’d better be a millionaire.
(C) I’d prefer to be a millionaire.
(D) You have more millions than me.
8. Can you use ________ computer?
9. Under no circumstances ________ or exchanged.
(A) good will be returned
(B) goods should be returned
(C) can good be returned
(D) are goods being returned
10. Frank ________ when he noticed a large packing case lying on the floor.
(A) has about to leave
(B) had about to leave
(C) is about to leave
(D) was about to leave
11. He ________ newspapers for ten years.
(A) is selling
(C) has been selling
(D) has been sold
12. This luggage is quite similar to ________.
(A) that one
(C) in additional
13. Margaret as well as Jane ________ here since last week.
(A) has been
(D) have been
14. The doctor showed the new nurse ________ to do.
15. Frede came to the meeting but Charles ________.
16. What does he ________ for a living.
17. He was ________ of all his money.
18. The murderer was ________ yesterday.
19. Don’t let your brothers ________ the present.
(A) to see
20. No, thank you, I don’t ________ sugar in tea.
2. 1. I come home ________ school in the afternoon.
2. When my aunt lost her cat last summer, it turned ________ a week later at a house in the next village.
3. My old cat died last year, and I still ________ her.
4. At the first ________ of twelve everybody stopped for lunch.
5. We ________ her a happy birthday.
6. Yesterday Tom ________ me a very interesting story.
(D) has told
7. ________ your math course yet?
(A) have you started
(B) had you started
(C) do you start
(D) did you started
8. I ________ from Mike for more than a week.
(A) didn’t hear
(B) don’t hear
(C) doesn’t hear
(D) haven’t heard
9. My friend ________ when the lesson started.
(A) hasn’t arrived
(B) wasn’t arrived
(C) hadn’t arrived
(D) wasn’t arriving
10. Would you please ________ write on the test books?
(B) not to
(D) to not
11. ________ you rather sit by the window?
12. He’s a really annoying person. He’s always getting ________ my nose.
13. I’ve never heard such a load of cock and ________ in my life.
14. Britain, for the present, is deeply mired ________ and the future looks uncertain.
(A) in a such mess
(B) in a lot of problems
(C) in a plethora of utility
(D) in economic troubles
15. When water is heated, it will change into ________.
16. Each of them ________ to bring ________ own book to the next class.
(A) are … his
(B) is … theirs
(C) is … his
(D) are … its
17. Penquay is ________ a nice place that they want to live there.
(C) so that
(D) such as
18. A sword will only draw blood if it actually ________ the skin.
19. Before joining a course of study you must fill in a long ________ form.
20. You can see a second-hand car only if it is in reasonably good ________.
3. 1. The bridge goes ________ the river.
2. Tell me the reason ________ you said that.
3. I shall be working late ________ office this evening.
(A) at the
(D) to the
4. Bill has ________ his job and gone back to college.
(A) let off
(B) given up
(C) passed up
5. I don’t think he would mind ________ there with me.
(B) go to
(D) to go
6. This is the woman ________ the artist said posed as a model for the painting.
7. Sending ________ “special delivery” costs about fifteen times as much as sending it “regular delivery”.
(B) a mail
(C) a piece of mail
(D) pieces of a mail
8. I was just ________ to go out when you telephoned.
9. The dentist told him to open his mouth ________.
10. You will spend at least one year working abroad ________ you can find out how things operate overseas.
(B) so as to
(C) so that
(D) as long as
11. The young girl carefully ________ left and right before crossing the road.
12. You really can’t ________ a thing that woman says!
13. His house is nothing out of the ________; it’s just an average four-room house.
14. Fortunately, Boston’s traditional swanboat rides provide ________ from the city’s summer heat.
(A) an expensive way to escape
(B) a poor relief
(C) a dismal hiatus
(D) a restful respite
15. ________ people can live without any money.
(B) a few
(D) a little
16. In ________ cases it is clear who it is that is responsible for a marriage break-up.
(B) a few
(D) a little
17. When their mother died, the children were ________ by their Aunt Mary.
(A) brought in
(B) brought round
(C) brought to
(D) brought up
18. I intended to write to you several times, but something was always ________.
(B) has interfered
(D) was interfering
19. He wants to go there and she ________.
(A) wants too
(B) wants also
(C) does either
(D) does, too
20. I should like to become a ________ of your club.